Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I Serve Coffee, and So Much More!

I received work study financial aid during my junior and senior years here at Mines.  Finding a good work study job on campus was easy because my friend Nathan Valentin was a barista at our library's coffee shop, and I was fond of working on homework at this locale.  After talking with Roz, one of the library administration staff (and my now boss), I signed a sheet and was officially a barista for the first time!


Training wasn't difficult.  Unlike Starbucks or Einstein Bros, we serve nothing but canned drinks, coffee, and lattes (including variations).  Once I'd worked a few shifts and gotten the drink-making down, I didn't need to stare at the espresso machine and could start making real eye-contact with customers.  The new challenge was to make their days better.

My first customer every morning is Louis (pronounce Loo-ease).  He's a perky Mexican who teaches Grad level Statistics courses at CSM.  Like clockwork, the doors to the library are unlocked and in comes Louis to get an espresso machiato (two shots of espresso with a little steamed milk).  This happens at 7:30...every single morning.  He and I have become regular pals, what with me supplying his every caffeine need.  When I was looking for an apartment, Louis gave great suggestions.  When he was going to leave for Mexico to visit family, I wished him well then asked how it went after the fact.

Nearly every work day, Diana and Debbie make the trip over to my coffee shop from nearby Guggenheim Hall, and Louis has affectionately called them "the Googies."  What makes them so fun for me is their intense interest in Ashley.  I always receive great advice, and sometimes even sermon CD's, from them which are a real blessing.  Today they made a special trip over just to meet Ashley, who brings her laptop and does her work beside me on Wednesday afternoons.  What a joy!

Probably my greatest mission at work, though, is to share the love of Christ through encouragement.  Mines is a tough school to attend, and the haggard students rushing in for a caffeine fix often need someone to offer perspective.  I try to ask them how things are going in a genuine way, remembering that I receive much-needed encouragement from Ashley every day.

Look to do the same for others today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments!