Monday, September 21, 2009

A Whole Freakin Chicken

First of all, am I allowed to say "freakin"? If I have offended any of my more sensitive readers, please let me know and I'll more be mindful of my slang from now on.

Yesterday I cooked a whole chicken. My friend Emily is quite the homemaker. I always feel like less of a woman when I read her recipe blog posts and the all time low was when I read about how she can feed her and her husband with a whole chicken for a week.

A week ago I bought a whole chicken and put it in the freezer for when I was feeling brave or bored. And since yesterday was another homework catch-up day for Brian, I thawed my chicken.


I skinned the chicken (mostly)

I accidentally let some of the skin fall into the disposal. I figured it would be fine but when I turned it on the whole sink shook. Brian came to the rescue and fished the skin out of the drain. Brian = good husband.


Every website I found to read up on cooking whole chickens said to remove the giblet but none of them told you what that was. Lot of help they were. Brian tried to figure it out with me but in the end he was as clueless as I was. The chicken is cooked, pulled and in the fridge and I still have no idea what a giblet is (if you, dear reader, know please leave a comment).


I washed it and patted it dry. Then covered it with paprika, pepper, salt, rosemary and oregano and put two crushed cloves of garlic in the bottom of the crock and cooked for a little over five hours. All the recipes said to slow cook for seven but it was plenty done.

I'm planning on using the darker meat for an enchilada casserole tonight. I'll let you know how that goes!

3 comments:

  1. Giblets are essentially the organs/edible entrails of the chicken. generally they are left in the body cavity of the chicken and you have to fetch them out through the rear end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alex!

    When Ashley asked if I knew what they were, I said, "Oh definitely." Then, after looking around it, I realized I had no idea what Giblets are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Giblets are often used for gravy. Some chicken suppliers put this stuff in a nice little bag for you, but often you have to reach your hand into the body cavity of the bird and remove heart and liver. EWWWWWW. After more than 27 years I still hate that part.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments!