Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mexican Mishmash

Now that I have the meat from a whole chicken I have to figure out what to do with all of it. I've found use for about half of it today with two new recipes. For both recipes I included the leftovers we brought home from the Pounding.

We have a lot of veggies like pepper slices and celery sticks that Brian and I eat in meals all the time but haven't acquired the taste to eat raw and by themselves. (As a side note, you should have seen us yesterday eating raw broccoli and grape tomatoes for dinner. We had them and by golly I was determined we were going to eat them. Since I can't handle another night of raw broccoli, I had to to do something with them!)

Mexican Mishmash

1/2 chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red and yellow peppers
2 cups (ish) pulled chicken (dark or white is fine, I used mostly dark)
1 can rotel
1 can diced green chilies
1/2 packet of enchilada seasoning
6-8 corn tortillas
refried beans
1 bag of boil in the bag rice prepared (I had boil in the bag on hand from the pounding but I would normally make long grain brown in my rice cooker so whatever you have is fine)
shredded cheddar or mexi blend cheese
1 thinly sliced roma tomato


Cook onion and pepper in skillet with lightly coated olive oil until softened and add the next five ingredients and continue to cook until well heated and softened.

While that's cooking, line the bottom of a casserole dish with corn tortillas and spread refried beans on top of them (there was also leftover bean dip from the pounding that I used for this). For the next layer add the chicken and mixings from the stove top. for the next layer spread an even layer of rice and top with shredded cheese (however thick you want, I kept it on the light side). Place thinly sliced tomatoes on top.

I made this in the morning and refrigerated it until the evening so I had to bake longer that you would if you make it fresh. So I bet you could bake it at 375 for a half hour covered and 10 minutes uncovered.

This was so good! I served it with fresh corn (like I do most meals since corn is so cheap right now). I know I alluded to a soup recipe but I don't have time to put it up right now.

I've got to jump in the shower and head to the chiropractor. Relief is on the way! (And Sarah, don't worry they specialize in muscle work not violent cracking-- very homeopathic. I think Bobby would approve.)

Today is one of my favorite days of the week because I get to work with Brian at the coffee shop this afternoon. I'll work on my computer while he makes drinks. I always get a free drink: white chocolate mocha with an extra shot (for flavor not caffeine).

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments!