Monday, November 23, 2009

Pea Soup

This is the best soup. Ever. Seriously, ever. It's the only pea soup I've ever had because well, pea soup sounds kind of gross. A couple of weeks ago we had dinner at some friend's and this is what they made. I googled split pea soup for about a half hour before I found the exact recipe my friend used but it was 30 minutes well spent.

Pea and Basil Soup
1 1/2 cup (12 oz) frozen peas
1 onion chopped
2-3 cloves garlic minced
1-2 T EVOO
3/4 cup fresh basil chopped
1 can (12 oz) chicken broth
1 cup half and half
salt and pepper to taste
Optional garnish: fresh sliced mozzarella and sliced roasted red peppers
(I used some jarred roasted red peppers and skipped the cheese)

Cook onions and garlic in EVOO in large sauce pan until onions are translucent (5 minutes) add peas and basil until peas are thawed (5 minutes). Pulse pea mixture and 1/2 can of chicken both in blender until pureed. Return to sauce pan add the rest of the chicken broth and half and half. Cook until hot but not boiling (boiling half and half will not turn out well, trust me).

This recipe is originally from Giada on FoodNetowrk but I've tweaked it so that it's less heavy

This next one's for Jerry and Emily :) Growing up my step dad added hot sauce to lots of things like french fries and pinto beans. And my friend Emily is even more lavish in her application of hot sauce. It's one of the major themes of her blog. So after years of exposure from Jerry and months of subliminal messages from Emily's posts, I bought some. Wasn't sure what to do with it, but I bought it none the less. And slowly I'm putting it on more and more things. Rice, eggs, beans. What's next?
Sorry, no Louisiana.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to try that pea soup recipe. I grew up with good old fashioned pea soup--the kind that uses dried peas and an enormous scary hunk of bone--and I like it (made it for the first time when Mom visited ... with lots of hot sauce!). But Dennis has made a soup from his German cookbook that uses fresh or frozen peas, some sour cream, and tastes really bright and delicious. I am excited to try this version -- the basil sounds like a wonderful addition, and Dennis's soup, while delicious, is VERY heavy (it has a couple egg yolks as well as the sour cream!).

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments!