Saturday, September 12, 2009

How Pork Chops Will Be in Heaven


Yesterday I got better acquainted with my crockpot. I'd never even used one before last week. Most people (including Brian) find this hard to believe but it's true. Mom taught me a lot of things but the art of crockpot cooking was not one of them. 

So we had a crockpot lesson via phone. She said to put a cup of water and 1/2 an onion soup mix packet in the crock with my 4 pack of thawed pork chops. I peppered them and left them on low for 4 or 5 hours (they could have been done at 2 or 3 I think but I had all day so I figured they did too) and turned them to warm for another 2 hours. They were so tender that just looking at a fork made them fall apart. 

I haven't been to the grocery store lately. I love most all things domestic but I loathe going to the grocery alone. Mostly I like help carrying them to the car and up 5 flights of stairs to our apartment but I also enjoy the company. I've been putting it off thinking Brian and I could go together but it seems our schedules just won't permit. All that to say that I had pitiful little to add to my amazing main dish. I decided that a hearty sauce would make up  for whatever side dishes were lacking. Not only did it make up for lack of side dishes but I would have eaten it alone with a spoon. Please try this sometime. It was amazing. 

Heavenly Pork Chop Sauce:
1 c. pork chop broth from slow cooker
1/4 green bell pepper chopped lengthwise
1/3 onion sliced
3 or 4 small mushrooms sliced
2 roma tomatoes sliced (optional)
2 or 3 dallops sour cream 
a few splashes half and half

Sauté peppers, onion, tomatoes in light cooking spray or 1 T. butter until softened. Add 1 cup of broth and let simmer. Add sour cream and half and half. Simmer until creamy and serve atop pork chops. So simple. So good. 

What would you add to the sauce if you were making it? I think the only spice I added was a little bit of garlic salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments!