Thursday, September 10, 2009

Homemade Granola and My Birthday

I made my second batch of homemade granola today. I didn’t follow a recipe or even measure my ingredients; I smelled and felt and cooked and it was much better playing by the rules. I’m not sure it tastes better but the process was less messy and more enjoyable.

Granola is really expensive at the store so I never buy it. The good kind is upwards of 4 dollars for a small bag. Making it at home is cheaper, much healthier and if you don’t burn it, tastes way better too. I only ingredients we already keep around the house so I’m not adding to budget my making it. Here what I use:
  • a c. Applesauce (I get mine on sale at the natural grocers in different kinds like cinnamon apple and blueberry)
  • a couple T. butter
  • 1/2 c. honey
  • 1 T. cinnamon (since it’s already in the applesauce I use less. You could probably use a little more
  • 1 t. ginger
I put these in a medium sauce pan and bring them to a boil for 1 minute or two then mix with:
  • 3 or 4 c. old fashioned oats (you can use minute oats I believe)
  • 1/3 c. chopped walnuts
  • 1/3 c. chopped almonds
  • 1/2 c. raisins
And bake on lightly sprayed cookie sheet at 300 for 10 minutes, stir around on sheet,  and bake for another 15 (check on it occasionally).

Wednesday while I was drinking my coffee on the couch Brian brought me my first Birthday present from him (we weren’t dating last year on my Birthday. And now we’re married! Man, we’re fast). It was an old ugly, ratty, too-big-for-him t-shirt that I loathe (in case you couldn’t tell).

He said I could do whatever I wanted with it, including throwing it in the trash which I threaten to do once a week anyway. I decided to sleep in it on fat days since I took all of my over-sized t-shirts to Goodwill. That way it will still be in Brian’s life just not on his body or ever in public.

After work Brian planned a surprise picnic for me. We ate fancy cheese in the park by our house and really relaxed. After sufficient picnicing we went downtown to a place called the Market. It was like an old general store on the inside and they made amazing desserts and brewed fabulous coffee, both of which we enjoyed. The atmosphere and the lighting were delightful.

It was a wonderful evening. Thanks to Brian and all the friends and family who thought of me for a great Birthday :)

2 comments:

  1. I understand the shirt present. Andrew once bought a shirt for a children's camp that says "It's all good." I hate when he wears it, but I once saw (this is horrible) a horribly obese woman wearing the same shirt. I officially stole it and claimed it as my sleep shirt. Wouldn't you know it that I caught him wearing that hideous shirt underneath a dress shirt. His answer to why was "because it's clean."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Dana, you make me laugh. And you reminded me that I'm going to write a blog post soon on Brian's phobia of running out of clean clothes. It's been two months and he's never needed something and it been dirty. I wash clothes like it's my job but he still has trust issues. The scars of bachelorhood ...

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments!