Monday, June 7, 2010

Fruitful Discipline

A good friend and mentor sat me down some months ago and challenged me with the following phrase.

"Seek fruitfulness, and train yourself in body, mind, and spirit."

His words have caused ripples in my pursuits since then, effecting my daily disciplines, my work, my job-search, and my marriage.  You know what else has been changed?  My physical fitness.  I've taken his admonition seriously, and I thought by sharing my thoughts and actions with these things that you, our friends and family, might benefit.

Fruitfulness
In Galatians, Paul writes of the fruits of the Spirit.  These are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.  In contrast to the Spiritual gifts (prophecy, teaching, tongues, healing, etc.), which are apportioned differently to each person,  believers will all be growing in each of the fruits of the Spirit if aligning themselves in their understanding of scripture, their obedience to it, and their openness to repentance and knowing God moment by moment.  What does this mean?  A person in any circumstance, if desiring to grow in these fruits and walking in accordance to God's known will, ought to be growing up "to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ" (Ephesians 4:13).

For me, this has meant taking my part-time work, my full-time job-search, my purity, my friendships, my marriage, my physical fitness, and my reading/studying of the Bible more seriously.  I think Ashley would agree with me that I have grown in these things, not without flaws of course.

Training (Discipline)
One of the greatest resources I've looked to for growth is a book called "Disciplines of a Godly Man" by R. Kent Hughes.  This book is a collection of insightful, practical, and purpose-filled words regarding growth in all kinds of ways.  From the discipline of purity to the discipline of ministry, he lays out what scripture clearly calls us to as men of God.  The verse drawn on throughout the book is Paul's straight-forward call to Timothy,

"... train (discipline) yourself to be godly." (1 Timothy 4:7)

What has been most challenging to me?  Probably physical fitness.  My friend Jason and I have been working out at the YMCA pretty consistently multiple times a week for a few months.  I'm sure my doctor would be pleased!

A Little Sweat
I encourage you to take a look at your own life and circumstances and ask the questions,

"What am I weak in?  How could I be growing?  Am I going to do it?"

I'm thankful to my friend and mentor for challenging me with these words.  Putting a little sweat into reading books intentionally for growth, seeking better relationships, and walking closer with God has eternal value.


May God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments!