Thursday, November 19, 2009

Twilight

Okay folks, I'm going to be unedited and maybe even a little offensive today. I know some of you are Twilight lovers. I'm not talking about the time of day immediately following sunset. I'm talking about all this vampire non-sense. I don't think it's satanic or anything. I just think it's stupid. I read the first chapter of the book=not my style of writing. I watched the first 30 minutes of the movie=Fell asleep.

I will give ole what's her name credit for even churning out that many 400 page novels. my opinion aside, that's impressive. And she must know how to weave a story if so many grown women, teenage and elementary school girls gobble up her series. I'm not trying to bash this lady at all or her writing for that matter. I just don't understand what drives our culture to the bookshelves and box office to lap up dark fiction. (I do like Harry Potter and the previously mentioned LOTR, so that probably makes me a hypocrite.)

Tim Challies has a great blog where he spends his days reviewing books from a discerning Christian perspective. I don't know if he's done a review for Twilight, but today he wrote a parody chapter of Twilight meets the Beverly Lewis Amish series meets the Left Behind series. And if you read Christian fiction or have any knowledge of popular Christian fiction, this will crack you up.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my, I went to the mid-night showing. Yep.

    But in my defense it wasn't my idea. My sister-in-law and her sister are big fans! Originally was a girl's night, which I was excited for, that turned into a whoever wants to go thing.

    I'm not THRILLED with the movie or the actors, but I must say the books were good! I'm not into vampires and most secular books in general, but someone suggested it and I wasn't reading anything at the time. Unlike you, I got sucked in. I think it took more than the first chapter though.

    Oh and you called it "dark fiction". I don't think I've ever read a book like that, but I don't think I'd classify her series as dark. I mean vampires aren't all sunshine, but it surely wasn't "let's eat everyone and destroy the world" either. I was surprised I got as caught up in the books as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James and I saw the first movie (per my sister's request to go with her), and we both loved it. That led me to read the books...I was totally sucked in and couldn't stop until I got to that last word in Breaking Dawn. Then I was stoked about seeing New Moon! ;) That's how it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say that in my opinion LOTR isn't even in the same league or category as Harry Potter and Twilight? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to a great seminar on using Twilight as an evangelism tool. It really helped me to see why so many people (including myself, I'm ashamed to admit) were so easily sucked in and addicted to it. I just realized this comment is probably useless w/o telling you why but it's too long to explain....

    On another note: I had the wrong link saved for your blog and every time I checked it saw "snowed in". I just thought you hadn't blogged since then! Now I'm catching up.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments!