Monday, November 9, 2009

Brian's Dietary Nutrition Class

This weekend was in Brian's words was "kind of a drag." He had to take up a one hour class at the local community college to graduate on time. Fortunately, the class is interesting. He's going to be taking Dietary Nutrition on Saturdays from 9-2 for three weeks. 

I have a love/hate relationship with this class. I love it because it's affirming a lot of my health-related nagging and it's allowing me to get away with more healthy lunches than ever! Brian's usual lunch bag contains:
  • sandwich (PB&J or turkey and cheese)
  • crackers or whole grain muffin
  • apple or banana
  • carrots
  • raw nuts (walnuts or a mixture of pecans and almonds)
Today's lunch contained:
  • 1 1/2 cup lightly crushed garbanzo beans with garlic, lemon juice, and cumin
  • plain organic yogurt with a banana and honey
  • apple
  • carrots
  • two whole grain pumpkin muffins
The beans had way more fiber and protein than any sandwich I would normally have made. Brian told me that we need more probiotics (according to his new found nutritional knowledge) so that's why I threw in the yogurt parfait. That's another reason why I love this class. Brian is starting to suggest that we are deficient in certain nutrients and observing how the foods we eat affect us.

Brian has been awesome about eating whatever I prepare without complaining, so I'm not saying he was hard to cook for before. But I am excited that we're even more on the same page about our health now that he's taking this class.

However,  I'm not such a fan that Brian has to acquire all this knowledge from 9-2 on our one free day of the week. But all in all, I think it will be good for us in the long run: Brian graduates in December and we have a healthier family.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!! I had to give Delaney Culturelle when she had a stomach bug for the probiotics. She broke out in a rash:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, Ashley's been incredibly patient with all of my needed class time and homework/lab time. I seek to find balance in my time with school and with Ashley, and she has great patience.

    Just yesterday, she drove to campus just to bring me that great garbonzo bean lunch that I could eat while working.

    What a servant's heart!

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments!