Thursday, October 29, 2009

Lord of The Rings

So I like Lord of the Rings. I'm not obsessed and neither is Brian, but we've watched the trilogy over the last three weeks because we ran out of The Office episodes. And I've taken up reading the books because they are epic and while I have the time to read I want to read books that I'd like our (future) kids to eventually read. 

All that to say we've had a lot of LOTR going on at our place lately. As evidenced by how much we talk about it during normal conversations. For instance, the other day I was at dinner with my friend Denise. She's taking on old testament survey class at the local seminary. I told her that I'd started reading deuteronomy and I was really taken aback by how the nation Israel acted in warfare:

Ashley: I mean they went into cities and killed men, women and children. That's what the Orcs did Denise! God's people acted like Orcs!

And another example, last night at dinner I asked Brian if he could have been born in any country besides America which country he would have been born in.

Brian: Gondor. No, wait .... somewhere in Middle Earth like the Shire. Yeah, that's where I'd want to be born.

Ashley: Uh ... I meant somewhere that actually exists.

So there you have it. We are officially weird. After Brian's comment last night I decided to take a break from the LOTR books for a couple days. Sorry to our friends who haven't seen LOTR. You probably didn't understand this post at all.

2 comments:

  1. heh heh. One of our first major purchases as a couple was a really nice omnibus edition of LotR, plus a copy of the Hobbit, illustrated by Alan Lee. Yeah, we were very conscious of wedding and moving-to-Des-Moines expenses upcoming, but we couldn't resist when we found them at Hastings. We did it for the children!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! James and I are the same way with The Office and Smallville.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments!