Monday, August 23, 2010

Happy Apple


This weekend Brian and I went to Happy Apple Orchard. I'm sure a lot of people would have considered it too hot for apple picking, but we had a great time. The Gala and Jonathan apples were the only ones ready, so we got Gala for snacks and Jonathan for baking. 
We rode on a trailer to the middle of the orchard where the tractor driver, in all seriousness, gave us our "snake instructions." If we saw a rattler we were supposed to tell him right away. If we saw a bull snake we shouldn't do anything- they're nice snakes. His speech was very comforting as we set out into the tall grass to collect our apples. 

It was my first time at a real orchard, but it reminded me a lot of childhood. Walking around in tall grass eating fruit right off the tree. 
I made an apple crisp after recovering from my heatstroke. It was light and simple and so perfect. Except that it could have used a little more butter, but other than that, so perfect. 

Apple Crisp
4 c. thinly sliced Jonathan apples
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. oats
6 T soft butter
a hefty dose of cinnamon
1/2 c. raw sugar

Grease pie pan and fill with apples. Blend other ingredients, spread atop apples and bake at 350 for 35 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream. 

3 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful! I'm definitely going to try and make it. Did you already adjust this recipe to add more butter, or should I add extra?

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO happy to see you back! And we'll be trying your recipe at the Kendall house this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The butter is from the original recipe. I used whole wheat pastry flour so if you used white flour, the butter might be enough. You could probably just throw in some extra apple sauce.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments!