Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Hi. My Name is Ahsley

I put off changing my name for about two months. I was busy (read: lazy) and not really sure how to go about that process. That is until Focus told me a couple week ago that they wouldn't draw up a freelance writing contract for me unless I changed my name (if I intended to change it). After a dramatic tear fest and a pep talk from Mom and some Social Security Office research from Erin, I dried it up and went to the Lakewood Social Security Office to stand in line with a really sick looking sea of humanity. 

I normally would not cry over the privileged of taking my dear husband's name but it had been an emotional week and the task at hand felt daunting.  Turns out though, that it's really simple. 
  1. Take a number (Literally take a ticket with a number and wait for your number to be called, I took a number beside a very ill-looking young man with a hospital face mask.)
  2. Take marriage license to clerk and fill out a short form with new address and name. 
  3. Sign a very official looking document verifying that your new name and address are listed correctly. 
  4. Go home and wash your hands very thoroughly.
They said it would take a couple weeks for my new Social Security card to arrive. It came yesterday and my new legal name is:
Ahsley Brooke Ramsey
Looks like I will be repeating steps 1 through 3 and possibly 4 again this week.


4 comments:

  1. You know, I read this a couple of times before I found the mistake. Very funny. At least you know now what to do. Just double check next time Ahsley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this probably frustrated the mess out of you, but I thought it was pretty funny:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it looks like I can successfully leave comments. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think changing your name is quite the process! I'm sorry you have to go through it again, at least you can break it down into simple steps Ahsley. :)

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments!